Friday, May 7, 2010

Priceless

Own It. Work It.

Whether you are wearing an outfit that cost you 5 dollars, or one that cost upwards of 5 thousand dollars- That apparel does not in any way define you.You define the apparel.
I recently sauntered into Chanel. I adore Chanel. I dream of Chanel. I felt like a complete poser. I felt unworthy of being in the store. I deemed myself out of place. I didn't spend more than 10 minutes fawning over the latest couture before I felt insanely and awkwardly out of place. The excitement I had felt walking onto Rodeo Drive had quickly diminished, and all of a sudden noticed all of the rich women- and wanted nothing more than to duck out of Rodeo drive and back into my local mall...

Then there was Tiffany's.
We tip toed over to the diamonds, and each picked out our favorite of the impeccable engagement rings. I was intoxicated by the allure of the sparkling gems, and though it was hard to step away, we began to move onward. Toward the gem stones and charms, the bracelets and watches, and we were stopped.
"How are you lovely ladies doing today?" (As normal salesman- customer conversations go- you can imagine the simple banter)
We were asked if we had found the diamonds, and even though we were insistant on "just window shopping", we were asked if we wanted to try anything on.
We took this opportunity and looked at the two diamond rings we had fallen in love with.
Our lovely salesman let us try on and pass around the first diamond ring. It was huge, and perfect, and only $95,000....
When asked what other rings we were interested in- I pointed to my favorite.
A 7.5 carat diamond ring priced at $685,000. It was the most spectacular cut and perfect clarity. And because of the price and value of this ring, our salesman directed us to a showing room.
With great precision and extreme caution, I tried on this pristine ring. After all the 'ooing and ahhing' and adoring how magical my finger looked with such a ring- I received the greatest lesson, and it goes something like this:
Whether you have a simple silver band for a wedding ring, or a humoungus 7 carat diamond mounted on a diamond encrusted setting- be proud of what you have. There is something for everyone, and everyone's "something" is different. Special in it's own way.
Everyone wakes up to the same rising sun, and goes to sleep under the same blanket of stars.
Be proud of who you are. Walk tall with your head up. Do not be ashamed of what covers your body; because your heart is your most valuable accessory.

I walked out of Tiffany's, and onto Rodeo Drive with a new outlook. I was not wearing the latest Chanel, but I was wearing a renewed sense of self, worth more than a million bucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment